Ina, the wise

Sunday, November 14, 2010

I'm not a huge Food Network person. Although I'm kinda obsessed with food, most of the "celebrities" are not my thing. I'd love to have the Cooking Channel (I think) but our cable bill is already unjustifiably high.

When it comes down to it, there is 1 chef/cook/whatever you wanna call them that I will make the time to watch when on the Food Network. Ina Garten. The Barefoot Contessa. Yes, she of "make sure you use a really good...." and measuring everything down to the salt and pepper lore.

Everything she makes looks delicious. It features the ingredients...it is simple but not elementary (I'm looking at you Sandra, Rachael and others); it is full flavor but not overboard (Paula!). I wish we could be buddies. I'd cruise around the Hamptons all day with her searching out the finest of cheeses and mingling with our fantastic floral designer buddies.

And Ina always says that a perfect roasted chicken is sometimes greater than any other dish. I agree. While I don't use her (or anyone else's) recipe, I do pay tribute to her in this dish. A $4 chicken that makes me lick my lips and reach for more!

Sara's Perfect Roast Chicken

Ingredients

~4 lb whole chicken
Fresh thyme
Fresh rosemary
Fresh parsley
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 lemon
Salt
Pepper
4 cloves garlic
2-3 cups chicken broth


Preparation

The first step I took with this chicken is to create a compound butter. I've made it before with just olive oil or butter (and both are delicious) but I've been inspired to take an extra...and simple...step towards yumminess! Here's what to do: chop approximately 1 tablespoon each of flat leaf parsley, thyme and rosemary. Then grate the zest of 1 lemon. Combine these with 6 tablespoons of room temperature butter.


Scoop the butter mixture onto some plastic wrap, and roll into a log to be put into the refrigerator until it's time to take the chicken out.


Before you cook your chicken, you'll want to take it out about an hour before preparing. Let it come to about room temperature, rinse it under cool water (important note to people like my dad - there is absolutely no need to rinse other meat under water...in fact, you're just watering it down!)...sorry, tangent....then pat it dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Make sure you've got the neck or any other insides out of the chicken's cavity. You'll want to cook it so that the breasts are facing up, then tuck the wings back as though it is putting its "hands" behind its head. For the chicken's cavity you'll need....


The lemon you've zested, cut into quarters. 4 cloves of peeled garlic. 1 sprig of fresh rosemary. And 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme.


Place the above into the chicken's center cavity. Then use your hands to get between the meat and skin of the breasts. Scoop up some compound butter and spread it between the meat and skin. Then spread some butter over the top of the exposed skin. After washing your hands thoroughly, make sure to top it all with a good coat of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

As you'll probably notice, we are not cool enough to own a roasting pan. Instead, we use a makeshift roaster with a rack sitting atop a deep-ish cookie sheet. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Anyway...no matter what your equipment, fill the bottom of your "roaster" with a few cups of chicken broth to ensure that everything stays juicy (and give your gravy a headstart).

Put your chicken into a 425 degree oven.


Our 4 pound bird cooked for 45 minutes. The important thing is that the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees and that the juices run clear after you poke it. Look at all that golden crispy skin.....yummmm.

I decided to make gravy from the drippings to go with my chicken and potatoes. I removed the rack and chicken to let it rest and allow the juices to settle and put the tray over a low burner. I added about 1/3 to 1/2 cup water combined with a few tablespoons of flour to the mixture of broth and drippings, whisking well.

See! That Ina, she's a smart cookie!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Seasoned with Sass Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino