Ol' Standby

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ever have the days when you can't for the life of you figure out what to make so you reach way back in your mental recipe box? This is one of those recipes. Nothing particularly fancy, pretty sure I made it up in my head years ago...but it always satisfies. A lot of people call their chicken chili recipes "white" - not sure if it's because the meat and beans are white (like this one) or because I've actually seen recipes that call for alfredo sauce (ick!??)....so I'll just stick to calling it chicken chili!

Sara's Chicken Chili
Serves 4 (depending on appetites)

Ingredients:
6 boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins, cut into bite sized pieces (could also use 2 breasts or 2 cups cubed cooked chicken)
1 anaheim chile, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (don't drain)
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 package chicken chili seasoning mix
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons masa flour to achieve desired consistency
Garnishes (optional): shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions

Preparation:

If using uncooked chicken, chop it into bite sized pieces and brown in your chili pot with olive oil.



Once the chicken is cooked, add the onion and peppers, sauteeing for a few minutes or until the onion is translucent. Now's a good time to season with salt & pepper.


To the pot add the tomatoes, beans and corn.

Stir in the seasoning packet and the liquids. I use a mix of chicken broth and water but you could use all of one or the other. I like my chili to have a stronger presence of spice and tomatoes so I don't use all broth. I also like to add a pinch of cayenne (1/4 to 1/2 tsp).


Let this simmer to allow the flavors to develop and the chili to thicken a bit. I've found that most times I make chili I like the consistency to be a bit thicker, so towards the end, I stir in a tablespoon or so of masa flour, bringing it to a boil and then reducing to a simmer. This results in happy chili. (More salt & pepper to taste is a good idea, again!)


When you're happy with how it looks & tastes - or if you're like me and your stomach is telling you now's the time! - dish it up and top it with whatever suits your fancy.


Not too shabby for a throw-it-together meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Seasoned with Sass Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino