Broccoli WHAT??

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sometimes I forget that the whole world doesn't like the same things I do. I can't see why not - obviously I have impeccable taste (I kid, I kid). But my interest in food means that I look at tons of recipes, watch Top Chef religiously, get an unusual amount of joy out of trips to Farmers' Markets or even Whole Foods, and strive to try new things. And sometimes when I'm describing these new things to friends, I'm met with puzzled stares. Cue the broccoli rabe (pronounced like the name Rob, also called rappini). Broccoli WHAT? This is broccoli rabe:





It is different than broccoli or broccolini. While it has small little floret-looking things, it's really not much like broccoli at all. (After cooking with it I'd say that it has notes of asparagus and more-flavorful spinach). Anyway, I had seen broccoli rabe on some cooking show a little while back and wanted to try it but just never had. Until it went on sale at my supermarket and I was on a mission. Since the first time I saw broccoli rabe it was used in a pasta dish, I decided to do the same.

Pasta with Bacon and Broccoli Rabe (adapted from Food & Wine, Quick from Scratch Italian - 1998)

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

1 lb Pipe Rigate (could also use medium shells, orecchiette or similar shape)
5 slices thick cut bacon
1/2 cup regular bread crumbs
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch broccoli rabe
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan/romano blend

Preparation:

Start with a large pot of salted boiling water. Cut your broccoli rabe by first cutting off the tougher ends and then cutting the rest into approximately 1-inch pieces (including leaves and stems).


Once the water is boiling, throw the broccoli rabe in and cook for 2-3 minutes.



While the broccoli rabe is cooking, toast your bread crumbs in a skillet with 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. I like to crunch the Panko up a little finer before I use it. If you don't have this combination, you could use either by themselves or make fresh bread crumbs with spare baguette. (ha - spare baguette...an elusive concept in my house as any such bread is devoured very quickly)


After cooking for a couple of minutes, strain the broccoli rabe from the water. I put mine through the salad spinner to remove all excess moisture. Refill the pot with more water to boil for your pasta. Remember to salt the water as well, and toss the pasta in once the water is boiling. It will probably take between 8-10 minutes to cook to al dente.



After allowing the bread crumbs to cook for 4-5 minutes until they are golden brown, remove them from the skillet and add 5 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into bitesize pieces. Once the bacon has cooked, remove it from the skillet and drain the grease.


In that same skillet (don't you love how this recipe re-uses your pots and pans so you have fewer dishes? Me too!) add the other 1/4 cup of olive oil, the 6 cloves of minced garlic and 1/4-1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.

Cook the garlic for 1 minute, and then toss in the strained broccoli rabe. Cook this for another 2-3 minutes.


By now your pasta should be done cooking. Here is what the cooked pipe rigate looked like:


The final step is mixing everything together - the broccoli rabe/garlic from the pan, the bacon and bread crumbs you've set to the side, a few tablespoons of cheese (I used a blend of shredded parmesan, pecorino romano and asiago) and a sprinkling of sea salt.


I've never made a pasta dish with bread crumbs but I really love the extra texture and flavor they add to the dish. I also loved the broccoli rabe and am excited to use it again in another recipe. Now hurry up and try the recipe so you can talk about it and enjoy the same puzzled stares as I did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Seasoned with Sass Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino