A little scoop of heaven

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Once upon a time I used to pride myself in my healthy eating habits. That was a time before pregnancy...before I developed a sweet tooth, and re-introduced junk food to my poor husband (who I was apparently depriving all that time). Now I just long for the days of will-power and fitting into my really cute jeans. *cue the tiny violins*

The time will come. I will get back into the gym. I will get outside running for more than 3 consecutive days without giving up. I will go to bed without needing dessert. But in the mean time, I will share with you a divine recipe for one of my favorite foods - mac and cheese! It's based on the same stuff that Paula Deen serves at her restaurant. When it comes from a women who considers adding a sprig of mint "healthy", you just know it's good for you!

Baked Mac & Cheese (adapted from The Lady's Cheesy Mac recipe by Paula Deen)
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups uncooked small pasta (like elbows or shells)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Add the uncooked pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add in 2 cups of the cheddar and stir it around so it gets nice and melty.


In a large bowl, whisk the three eggs.


Then stir in the sour cream, milk, butter (cut into cubes), salt and pepper.


Then combine all of this with the cheese and pasta and stick it into an oven-safe bowl or casserole dish.


And add the last cup of cheese over the top.


Stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese gets nice and golden.



I've gotta stop blogging about this stuff! It's good for your stomach and bad for your waistline, y'all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Seasoned with Sass Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino