I Like Pizza, Steve

Sunday, March 21, 2010

I dedicate that blog title to my Dad. Who I'm not entirely sure even reads this. Bummer. But I keeping the title regardless.

So I admit that some nights (especially after work + grocery shopping) I just don't have the energy to cook. Unfortunately that usually results in us either ordering food or heating up a frozen pizza. Neither of which are particularly healthy. And I end up feeling even worse about it because it is soooooo easy to make pizza at home. So easy that it deserves that many o's. I'm not even sure this qualifies as a recipe. It's more like and equation. But I'll share it none-the-less!

Sara's Chicken Margherita Pizza with a Twist
Serves 2-4 (depending on how big of an appetite you have)

Ingredients:

1 pizza crust
1 tablespoon
5 boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins
1/2 cup spicy red pepper marinara sauce
1/4 cup sliced sweet onions
1/3 cup sliced red bell pepper
1/3 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
2 to 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil ribbons
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Preparation:

You could (probably pretty easily) make your own pizza dough, but I've yet to involve myself in any recipes that involve yeast. Consider me intimidated. So instead I buy my pizza dough fresh from the bakery at my supermarket. It's really fantastic.

Roll/stretch out the dough into as close to a circle as you can manage.


I use my pizza stone for this but if you don't have one, use a flat cookie sheet. Drizzle the dough with a teaspoon or two of olive oil and stick it into a 375 degree oven for around 5-6 minutes. You don't want the dough to cook all the way through, just cook enough to stand up to the sauce and toppings.


While the dough is in the oven, cover the chicken tenderloins in the salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and cook them in a non-stick skillet with the remaining olive oil.

Once the dough comes out of the oven, spoon on the sauce. We don't go out of our way to buy specific pizza sauce. We almost always have some marinara sauce on hand, and particularly like spicy red pepper or spicy tomato basil flavors. What can I say, we're spicy people.


Throw on the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and chicken - cut into bite sized pieces - and then top with cheese.


Cook the pizza in the 375 degree oven for 10-15 minute or until the crust begins to get golden. Sprinkle on the fresh basil for the final minute of cooking.


By the time you could have had delivery pizza you can have this!


Chicken on a pizza happens to be one of our favorite toppings. You honestly could substitute almost anything you like but I highly encourage trying chicken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Seasoned with Sass Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino